The townhouse is a defining feature of historic Annandale’s West Street. Originally built in 1863, the home’s architectural details include a spire-capped gable roof with decorative shingling, sash windows, and a full front porch decorated with modillion cornice, spindle frieze, spandrel brackets, and “Chinese Chippendale” railing. It is on the National Register of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Homes.
Frank Alpaugh, our co-founder Hazel’s father, purchased the home for $2,000 in 1908. He and his family continued to live at and operate their peach farm for another 15 years before moving to the home in 1923. Over the next 77 years, it was home to Frank and his wife Lucretia, their daughter Hazel, and her husband, Edward Astle. Since 2000, this treasured historic residence has been maintained by the Foundation’s co-founder, David Olekna, who was like a son to Hazel and has been a steadfast steward of her family’s history.